Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 2: August 16, 2013

Day Two. . .


After hardly sleeping due to a mixture of jet lag and being completely afraid of the dark, it was morning. My room looked so much friendlier with light shining through the windows :)



My host family from Montreal was coming to meet me at 10am, and it was already 7:30. (I spent the past two summers as a nanny for two little girls, and completely fell in love with their family.) And here I am in Paris, during their European vacation. Not to mention, it was Daphnee's 11th birthday so it was perfect timing to spend the day together in the city.



Before they arrived, I made a quick trip down the street to the boulangerie. It doesn't get any better than fresh-baked baguettes and chocolate pastries! I bought enough for breakfast and headed back to my room. Soon enough Marjo texted me and they had arrived!



I locked my apartment door behind me and literally ran down the three flights of stairs. I continued to run down the cobblestone streets across campus until I could see Daphnee and Flavie playing in the courtyard. My voice cracked as I shouted at them and the tears were definitely about to fall. They nearly knocked me over when they came running and jumped in my arms. You would think we hadn't seen each other in years, when it had only been two weeks.




After giving them a tour of my apartment, and snapping a few pictures, we were taking the metro to Le Muséum National D'Histoire Naturelle. While we were there we saw Jardin des Plantes, Galerie des Enfants, and Grande Galerie de l'Évolution. Talk about one of the coolest museums I've EVER been to!







After touring the inside, we walked around Le Louvre, La Seine, and Le Tour Eiffel. The beauty of it all was indescribable.





Finally we decided we had had enough walking and we boarded one of those touristy boats that give you a guided tour of this city. What was most impressive was the fact that the woman speaking during the tour was fluent in six, yes SIX languages. It reminded me of that scene in "Princess Diaries" where Mia Thermopolis runs across the grass. Who knew one person could shout one phrase with so many different words!




Afterwards, we were exhausted. It was time to head back to my host family's apartment for a quick rest before going hard again. Who knew I could jam-pack so many mind-blowing first-time experiences into one day! It wore me out.


That evening we dined at a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant for one of the best meals I have had in my life. Linguini Bolognaise never tasted so good, especially accompanied with the fresh-baked bread, antipasta, and sparkling water.. minus the sparkling water. If you don't like drinking straight club soda, then it's best you order "l'eau plate." Talk about stamping "I'm American" across my forehead - no shame.



The owner of the restaurant was a real Italian; a burly, gruff, no-bullshit kind of guy. The way he gave orders and commanded his employees was truly entertaining. But when it comes down to it, the food and the experience was totally unparalleled. He obviously knows what he's doing!

THERE HE IS!!!^^^    
After we asked for "l'addition s'il vous plaît" we were back on the streets. Words, pictures, even videos can't capture and relay how humbling an experience it is to stroll down the cobblestone of Paris in the night lights. I've been to Boston, Chicago, New York, even Montreal, but never have I been so filled with awe. The people here are magnificent. The clothes, shoes, hairstyles, make-up, jewelry, tattoos - there are no limits. Paris says, "Be whoever you want." The most relatable atmosphere would be an aquarium, where you can stare at thousands of unique creatures all moving at their own tempo, but you'll never truly understand what it is like to be a part of them. Paris is the city of love, not just because a couple can easily find romance here, but because the city itself draws you in and seduces you. I constantly find myself speechless, which, for those of you that know me, is a rare occurrence.

Anyways, back on track, we went to the Eiffel Tower next! And since I just thoroughly described to you my feelings about the city at night, I'll simply let you enjoy these pictures.










J'adore ma vie. J'adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment