Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 5: August 19, 2013

Day five, here we go. I'm posting from my phone so I'm not sure what the font or format will be, but bear with me.

I woke up this morning with no other thought in my mind than to buy a bath towel. I was willing to settle with a wash cloth, hand towel, tea towel - but it HAD to be better than my measly t-shirt. Last night as I took the train home I had seen a store called "Monoprix," which translates to "one price." I once again turned to Google, and found out it was the same thing as Target. Considering the previously suggested store had failed me twice, I decided to go after this newfound alternative.

I tied my hair up in a scarf, coated my lips in red, and put my playlist on Ellie Goulding before heading out the door. When I stepped out onto the front porch of my building, I froze. There are a few moments in life that truly take your breath away, and this was definitely one of them. The temperature was perfect, the clouds were those giant, billowy white ones, and the space between was one of the purest baby blues I've ever seen. I giggled to myself before letting out a full-blown laugh. "I can't believe it!! This is my life!" I threw my arms up in the air and squealed like a school girl at recess. This was all before I noticed the groundskeepers working just a few feet away in the bushes. 

While my initial reaction was to be embarrassed, I rationally chose not to be. I am happy here, and I don't care who knows it! Maybe it is the newness of it all, or maybe the spring weather has me in good spirits, but regardless I hope that the bliss I've found the past few days never simmers. I want to live each day here as if it was the first, with an innocent appreciation. 

Finally I was sitting on the RER-B, still listening to Ellie Goulding, and going over my shopping list in my head. Across from me sat a tired-looking mother with her child clinging to her arm. She was a baby girl, between 12 and 18 months, and she was perfect. Her skin tone was black as night and her eyes were stunning, but the best part was her smile. She stared at me the whole way, through all six stops, and then it was time for me to get off. I hadn't even purchased my bath towel and it was already a great day!

After navigating though the underground maze of subway tunnels and exits, I found the street I wanted and made my way up the stairs. There it was, right at the top, like the golden gates of Heaven; "Monoprix." I went inside and headed straight for bathroom décor; alas, there were the soft fluffy towels I had hoped to find!!!


I had a long, rigorous, mental debate with myself before I decide on an baby blue and grey color scheme. I won't bore you to death with details but here are the pictures of my goodies!

First and foremost, the towels.

Secondly, I needed dishes to eat.

And of course, cooking utensils.

But the winning item of the day, hands down, has to be my brand new banana protector!! Lame as it sounds, I've always wanted one of these. You can't put a banana in your purse without it getting smashed and nasty. But finally, I don't have to worry about that! Haha.

I made my way to the check-out counter and reluctantly paid the 198€. Overstuffed tote bag in hand, I climbed back aboard the RER and returned home for the day. It was perfect timing, too; just as I was walking across campus it started to rain! I ran inside and excitedly began to clip all the tags off my new belongings. It felt like Christmas morning as I folded my new towels, washed all my dishes, and hung my dress shirts on my new hangers.

The rest of my day was spent wandering around the park across the street, followed by nice long nap. I woke up just in time to Skype some of my friends and family, and have my first real bowl of Frosted Flakes. Those of you that didn't know, I've been eating them by the handfuls, straight out the box, as I didn't have a bowl or spoon! Now that I had both of those utensils, I was faced with another issue... my milk had frozen in the fridge. Thankfully, all it needed was a few minutes on the windowsill and I was back in business! Yum, yum, yum.

So here I am now, wrapping up my blog, about to go take a long, relaxing shower. Part of me wants to skip right past the showering part, and wrap up in fuzzy warmth of my towels! I think instead, I will sing to them, and what better song than... "Bring back, that lovin' feeling'"

Bonne nuit :)


No comments:

Post a Comment