Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 4: August 18, 2013


Here we are on day four, and I have to apologize in advance. Today was not that exciting and I am extremely exhausted so I'm going to make this short and sweet..... Who am I kidding; I am about as physically capable of running a marathon as I am of summarizing. That being said, you might want to go to the restroom and get a snack before you continue.

I didn't sleep very well last night, I can't decide if it is still the jet lag or if I'm just so creeped out being in this giant old castle by myself that I don't want to shut my eyes. I'll leave that one to you. Thankfully the US is a full seven hours behind so all my Facebook/Twitter activity can keep me entertained throughout the dark and mysterious hours. For those of you who don't follow me, I tweeted a huge thanks to Jesus for preventing me from seeing "The Conjuring." #ClapClap

Somewhere in the wee hours of the morning I finally passed out. The only reason I remember this is because I still hadn't shut my eyes when the sun was coming up, birds were chirping, and horns were honking. I made my way over to the window, without any chances of the boogeyman getting me, and shut the curtains. Finally at 2:30 this afternoon I woke up as a sweaty mess. My first thought,
"I have got to get that stinking bath towel."

Within minutes I had brushed my teeth, washed my face, and successfully hidden my glistening strands of hair beneath a scarf and a knotted bun. I contemplated the ultimate move of the true French woman: no bra. But needless to say I'm not ready for that "tout naturelle." After grabbing my headphones and putting my iPhone on shuffle, I walked back down to the RER. This trip was going to be successful.

And guess what, that store was closed AGAIN!

So I found the best alternative known to man: a Starbucks grande mocha.

After wasting approximately two hours cleaning out my email inbox and sipping my coffee, I wandered back towards those thrift stores. I have only been in the city four days and I can already tell resistance is going to be a problem. This time I made out like a bandit with a chic leather satchel by Marc Chantal and yet another scarf.


What started out as another ordinary walk back to the metro quickly became the most electrifying experience of my trip thus far...
I was in the middle of an Egyptian protest!!! And the best part? I didn't have a clue what everyone was screaming. Either way, it was my first time witnessing a true riot in the streets and the police were going crazy. I stared for a few minutes before it dawned on me that it might not be exactly "safe" for me to be standing in the middle of such chaos.














I took an alternative, less-exciting route back to the metro and slumped down in my seat. During the ride, one of my favorite songs of all time came across my shuffle, "This is the Life" by Amy MacDonald. (So catchy) 
All of a sudden, I was in the mood to party! 

So here I am in my apartment, sipping wine and eating Frosted Flakes by the handful, while I blog. When I go, I go hard.

Until tomorrow.. Bonne nuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment