Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 14: August 28, 2013

I waited by the gate with Kate and Francesca, giggling to myself over their British accents and bitter attitudes. No one was happy about being up at 7am, but there is just something about their whining in proper English that I find especially hilarious. It's okay that I am saying this, because we have come to the conclusion as a group that the English are never happy. In fact, they are rarely even satisfied. So there I was, smirking to myself, as Kate described in violent detail how badly she wanted to punch someone in the face, and Francesca complained about not knowing whether a jacket would be necessary or not. Because, as they tell it, the weather is always either "too nippy" or "hot as bloody hell."

As the conversation continued, we began to question where Persia (the person not the country) could be. She is another charming Brit, incapable of keeping her opinions to herself, and always adding a rebellious spark to the mundane routine of things. Moments later I heard her unmistakable voice coming down the sidewalk and turned to see her with an additional two people. I didn't actually recognize the strangers, but assumed them to be the two Canadians Persia had described the day before. The boy, a flawless "model" with a seductive accent; and the girl, a shy but funny person you couldn't help but adore. The closer they got, the more I was able to confirm my suspicions. They were Isabelle and Felix, both from Quebec, and as French-Canadian as I could have imagined. The accents and the "tabarnak"s were too much to handle, and I found myself diving into memories of my summers in Montreal.

A few minutes later we were swaying on the metro, and giggling over all the experiences we could have shared. Summer days at Calypso, educational visits to the capital in Quebec City, and unspeakable nights at Foufounes Electriques. I could tell within minutes that we would have a lot to talk about! It was difficult, however, to get on any kind of a personal level being crammed in the middle of the morning commuters. I had been on the metro several times, but never had there been even half as many riders as there were this morning. Orientation started at nine and we were told to allow an hour to travel, and it is a good thing we did! When we finally arrived at Bir Hakeim, which happens to be Le Tour Eiffel station, we pushed our way out of the crowd and onto the platform. Luckily it is only an additional half-mile walk to school from this point, and we were there with five minutes to spare.

It was lonely, for me, being on a campus I couldn't call my own. I am not an ambassador of this university; I am not capable of giving tours or explaining the history or spouting off the quirky facts that you come to know as a student. But as I looked around me at so many new faces, I reminded myself they were all thinking the same. It was cool, when I had this epiphany, to imagine all the backgrounds and cultures being represented there in the courtyard, and realize that each student was sharing the same thoughts as me. However, I was probably a little bit more shocked by my surroundings than the others.

First of all, the smoking. It was as if there was a thin cloud of fog lingering just inches above our heads. This would never happen at Wichita State, as there is a notable amount of students on campus that fight to have a smoke-free campus. Of course, there are still students "lighting up" on campus, but it will always be the less popular choice. Secondly, the outfits. I had seen bra straps and midriffs, boxers and tattoos, but never so much of it at once - and definitely not the first day of orientation! The students here had no inhibitions, completely comfortable in their own skin, and ready to show as much of it as possible. Lastly, the languages, which cannot be explained any better than by referencing Bible scriptures. Genesis 11: 1-9 My whole life I had been like the construction workers of the Tower of Babel, only hearing and only speaking one common, universal language: English. Yet, there I was with all the other students, unable to comprehend a single conversation. There was Spanish and French, easily to identify. Portugese and Italian, or so I assumed. And from there I decided to not even waste my time guessing.


 




I spent my time standing in line with my two newest friends, practicing what little bit of French I claim to know. I heard a name being called, similar to my own - oh wait, yes it was actually my name. "Fab-rhee-zu, Shah-rah-deen." Then accepted my student packet and headed to the amphitheater. After studying our packet and successfully connecting to the wifi, I turned my direction to the front. Slowly but surely I was able to put a face to each of the administration that had been emailing me for the past six months.

We learned about the history of the school, the various programs offered, degree requirements and employment opportunities. Then the real fun began! Rather than having a tailored syllabus for each class, Ecole Superieure de Commerce Exterieur (ESCE) has implemented one set of rules for the entire university. Within minutes we could tell that they were not here to joke around. For example, attendance is taken every day in every class - something completely taboo in American universities. For the duration of an entire semester, students are allowed to be absent for a total of 18 hours. On average, this means that you are excused for missing one class period of each subject.. Whew! But, alas, the meetings were over and it was time to head home.



Francesca, Persia, Kate, and several others decided to linger - but I was ready to be back in my own room. Felix and Isabelle were on the same page, and asked if I wanted to accompany them on the metro. It was my saving grace! I followed them there and boarded behind them. There was something about them speaking fluent French that made me feel less qualified going about town. But nevertheless, I tagged along and did my best to practice with a persistent Isabelle. She wanted to me to practice, she wanted me to improve, and I had no other choice than to climb on board and start fixing my mistakes.

At Montparnasse - Bienvenue we jumped off the subway and hit up Monoprix for a couple of errands. Most importantly, Isabelle and I were able to find matching planners for the school year with ideal agenda format. A quick trip through the checkout and we were back on our path home. Boy, it sure felt good.

When I arrived at Deutsch de La Meurthe, I was ready to wash my face off and flop down on my bed. Felix and Isabelle had another idea - Crossfit, ugh. I was in no kind of shape to be running, jumping, lifting, or even watching that kind of physical activity. The reaction on my face must have agreed, because when Felix invited me to join them, he began to laugh. Crossfit had become a big deal in the states, but only a few times had I ever participated. A few minutes later I was looking for my tennis shoes and finding the best headband. What was I getting myself into!

Fortunately, Felix took it easy on us, and it wasn't too bad. Running and circuits, more running and more circuits, and finally a stretching session to cool down. I was exhausted! Felix tried his best not to laugh at Isabelle and I, but it was obvious that we were lagging a little behind him.... okay so maybe a lot behind him!

After the run, we were all craving pasta, and thought it could be fun to all cook together. I grabbed the few ingredients I had for spaghetti and made my way to the Cambodian Foundation where the two of them live. It was fun, having some company as I browned my hamburger and sauteed my vegetables. My mouth was watering as I strained the noodles and gave the sauce a final stir, it was time to indulge in my beef-meal of the week! You see, beef is especially expensive in France and I had been craving any bit of red meat I could find. I made a pact with myself to buy hamburger or beef steaks at least once a week, if not a couple times more, without blowing through my grocery budget. Tonight was the night I could finally rest at ease knowing I had a full dose of protein!







Persia entered the kitchen with her cooking expertise, and helped a struggling Isabelle and myself decipher which knobs were respective to which burners. Not to mention, which numbers could be used for which range of temperatures. By the end of it we decided - turn all the burners on to 4 and adjust accordingly. It was a complete disaster of a kitchen but a marvelous experience, having a cooking date with a few of my favorite friends thus far.

After eating I washed up my dishes, packed my Dean & DeLuca tote, and strolled through the lamp-lit streets back to my building. This morning started with an eagerness to get to know my school, and ended with an eagerness to get to know my peers. Such incredible individuals, with similar interests and goals, and here we were all living on the same campus. Tonight was only the beginning of several more intimate nights of cooking and conversation, and I couldn't wait to go to sleep and dream about it. I barely remember making my way up to my room and showering off, but I was snug under my covers and fast asleep before too long. Tomorrow will be round two of orientation, and I want to be prepared for anything that came my way.

Good night, and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment