Sunday, September 15, 2013

ONE MONTH MARK

Exactly one month ago today I arrived in Paris. I can't believe how much I have learned and how far I have come since then.

For instance:
Light switches flip on/off backwards.
Peanut butter is impossible to find.
Monoprix is NOT the cheapest option.
Street vendors are sneeeeaky salesmen.
White shoes become black shoes.
Architecture has no limits.
Make sure your purse has a zipper.
The metro is a smelly smelly place.
If blind people can make it here, so can I.
Wine is cheaper than water.
EVERYBODY SMOKES; CHAINSMOKES.
Carry tennis shoes at all times.
You need three totes for groceries.
Electricity is unreliable.
Convenience is not an option.
Banks do not exchange money - what??
All romance is public, without an ounce of shame.
No one has a job.
Instead they day-drink in the park.
Picnics are acceptable everywhere.
The padlock bridge (Pont des Arts) has no more room.
The Kings lived like Gods.
The gardens never end.
Churches here are Heaven on Earth.
Allocate three weeks to see the whole Louvre.
Roy Lichtenstein was a badass.
Everything is free for students.
Except Starbucks, those lattes will break the bank.
$2,000 seems more like $200 here.
Coffee comes in dixie cups, and it tastes like tar, yummy tar.
Get used to walking, and LOTS of stairs.
Red meat is a privilege, not a part of every meal.
Cafeterias are gold mines - 3euros and you feel full afterwards.
Teachers DO NOT tolerate tardiness.
Be there 15 til, attendance taken 10 til, doors are locked at 5 til.
Seriously, don't be on time, be EARLY everywhere.
Even church starts 10 minutes early.
And some churches are like rock concerts.
The speed at which some people translate blows my mind.
I will always be responded to in English.
Quebekkers are so much friendlier.
Tipping is unnecessary.
Receipts cannot be split.
Smoking, smoking, smoking everywhere.
Wine with breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner.
Mexican food reminds me of home.
Burgers don't.
Beer does.
I love Carlsberg and Stella more than before.
My French has improved! Hooray! (Thanks Felix & Isabelle.)
Classes are impossible to add or drop.
Schedules can never be changed, just show up when you're told.
Nope, 15 minutes earlier, remember.
You need every document translated to French.
Get an "Attestation de Residence" the first day.
KEEP ALL YOUR COINS to do laundry.
My mattress is smaller than a twin.
And so incredibly uncomfortable.
But a topper will cost 60euros or more.
So I bought some cheap pillows and lounge on those instead!
I love my room! I have the biggest one :)
We have to be QUIET at night time, our guardian doesn't like noise.
But we can reserve the Grand Foyer for 50 people to party!
Today is Mexican Independence Day.
Mexicans like to party - with tequila, lots of tequila.
French keyboards are difficult to type on.
I LOVE going to the movies! They have the coolest candy.
Crepes are amazing, for any meal of the day.
Sandwiches are everywhere.
Baguettes are everywhere.
You will eat a LOT of bread in Paris.
Buy bottled water, it comes in 1L, 1.5L, and 2L.
Evian is my favorite brand.
My converter from America isn't as good as the French ones.
So wait and buy that here, to avoid computer problems.
Buy a raincoat here - they are SO COOL.
There are so many options for fashion, you won't know what to do.
I can't decide if I want to be "mod" or "prep" or "hipster."
So I think I will be all three, and confuse my peers.
High heels = no bueno.
Hold the railing on the metro - you WILL lose your balance.
Lights are on timers.
If you go to the bathroom at night time, it will be dark before you finish.
So bring your cell phone or a flashlight or you will be scared.
French girls prefer epilators, so bring razor blades from home.
Threading HURTS. I mean IT HURTS.
You can't FaceTime friends 7 hours behind, and expect a normal sleep schedule.
However, long distance relationships are absolutely possible.
Matthew, thank you for your patience. :)
You listen to my never-ending stories with attentive eyes and ears.
You send me sarcastic books in the mail when my week is getting rough.
And you make me feel less guilty about my impulsive shopping habits.
You are such a supplemental part of this whole experience.
True gentlemen do exist in this world.
Matthew and Felix are living proof.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Isabelle is a riot, I love her, she is hilarious.
If we start speaking in French, inevitably it turns to English.
Persia, she is something else.
Craziest, most impatient girl I have ever met and I LOVE IT.
Andrea is so level-headed, and so kind.
Kate is a lightweight, we have a great time together.
Francesca is boy crazy, and I love hearing about her handsome gents.
Honestly, gossiping in a British accent is so much more fun!
Although, Flora and her Irish accent are just as entertaining.
The boys, I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Felix, I would be dead in an alley if it weren't for you.
Or spending my Sundays being bored, instead of out in the city!
Rikin, Alvaro, Mario, Joaquin; so many memories --and more to make.
One day, I will be tri-lingual.
But my Spanish is pathetic thus far.
I can't wait to see what the next 4 months bring!!!
And this list has basically become a forum for me to ramble so I'm going to stop here.

You can expect me to catch up on my regular blog posts this week. I have been slacking, as I have been doing a LOT of exploring the past couple weeks, and adjusting to my school schedule! Starting now, I plan to get on top of things and be on date. And, a sneak peak, you guys are in for such a treat :)

Thank you for taking part in my crazy adventure, and I am sorry if there is anything you don't like! As always, feel free to comment on the posts, contact me via Facebook, or email me at sheradin.fabrizius@yahoo.com

Bizou xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment