Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day 16: August 30, 2013

Today was our third and final day of orientation, and I went with every intention of staying the whole time... Unfortunately that is not quite what happened.

The first session on my schedule for the day was to finalize the CAF details, so of course I slept right through that one and headed to campus an hour later. My second session was regarding our French classes and skill levels. After ten minutes in the classroom, I learned that it was for students who had not previously taken the online placement tests. Being the paranoid student that I am, I had completed all of the necessary vocabulary and grammar quizzes, along with an essay portion, the day that the link had been emailed to us. Knowing that my current French level was B1, and I was already enrolled in the respective course, I left the classroom to get a coffee. I sat outside enjoying the beautiful weather and my 40 cent "cafe au lait" before Isabelle and Felix arrived. We sat on the benches and waited as students continued to pour out of the classrooms, obviously bored with the expired information.

Forty-five minutes later it was time to report to our third sessions. Isabelle, Felix, and I all were expected at "Des Informations Multimédia" (Multi-Media Information) and we slid in the back door just in time. We sat in the last row, half expecting the same presentation as our former sessions. And, our preconceived notions were spot on. In ten minutes we had learned how to type the web address of our university in a web browser search bar, and had the definition of each link fully explained. I hate to be rude, but apparently our instructor wasn't aware of the vast amount of information we comb through daily on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit. What kind of college student in the twenty-first century can't figure out that "Admissions" is where you apply, "Programmes" will outline the various degrees offered, and "Vie Etudiante" is the home of all things extra-curricular. Isabelle and I found ourselves annoyed, hungry, and underestimated. It is one of my biggest pet peeves when we are constantly preached at to "never waste the professor's time," because they are "busy, working people." Meanwhile, I was being forced to sit through a lecture that was prepared for someone unfamiliar with all things digital. I'm so done.

I looked at Isabelle, she smiled, and we quietly exited the back door. It was only after I saw about 90% of the classroom attendees follow suit that I felt guilty. Oops!


Just seconds outside the building and our stomachs began to growl. Isabelle was bound and determined to find herself a crepe, and I would settle for nothing less than a huge chunk of red meat. We walked, and walked, and walked, and walked. Down the street, around the corner, through a farmer's market, and there was nothing desirable to our tastes. After saying, "Okay, the next street has to have a creperie." about 18 times, we decided to give up. It was an hour later, we were absolutely starving, and sooo tired of walking. Pathetically, we sunk down into two chairs outside a cafe. Lucky for me, and not so much for Isabelle, "Bacon Cheeseburger" was one of the menu items. My mouth literally started watering the instant I read those majestic words, it was a dream come true!

We both ordered a burger, fries, and treated ourselves to a beer as it was the end of our orientation. There was a "surprise cultural activity" planned for the afternoon, but we had three hours before reporting back. In no rush, we ate, drank, and gossiped the afternoon away :)



As you can see, their idea of a "bacon cheeseburger" is not exactly what we're used to in Kansas... but it was the biggest portion of protein I had had in a week! Sometimes, in Paris, you just have to learn to deal.

When we returned to the school, we learned that the activity for the afternoon was a boat ride on La Seine! Although I had done it once before with my host family, it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon with my up-and-coming best friend Isabelle!! We met up with our other friends and climbed aboard :)






It's the back side of Le Louvre, leading to "Palais des Arts." (Above)

It's the Notre Dame Cathedral! (Above)




It's l'Institute de France! (Above) Just across La Seine from Le Louvre!


ET LE TOUR EIFFEL, OF COURSE!!!

We even got to see a few "extras" on our riverboat tour! (Some risque sun-bathing...)



















And then our afternoon was over, as quickly as it had begun, and I was getting ready for our night time activities! Which consisted of pre-gaming on the Cite-Universitaire lawn before heading to Wanderlust. It was my first night out on the town in Paris, and an absolutely unforgettable one! Boy, do I have some amazing friends, delicious wine, and endless opportunities in "Le Ville d'Amour."


From left to right:
Rikin, from London
Isabelle, from Quebec
Alvaro, from Spain/London
Andrea, from Switzerland
Me, All-American
Angela, from Spain
and Felix, from Quebec
I love this girl! SO MUCH.

















And, last but not least, Club Wanderlust.
Goodnight to all, and to all a good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment