Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 18: September 1, 2013

Whew! What a day.

I started off in my room, just reading and relaxing and tidying up. Around lunchtime, Persia and Francesca invited me to join them on the lawn for a study session. As I was (am) behind on my blogs, I decided to join them and knock a couple of posts out. Not to mention, it was absolutely gorgeous weather and I was able to tan - multitasking! It was a relatively slow afternoon, and being unable to get a secure wifi connection, I did a little more of the tanning and a little less of the typing. Either way, I was happy to be out of my room and enjoying the weather. It is Paris, after all!


Somehow during the afternoon, our conversation led us to confessing how guilty we felt for not yet attending a church service in Paris. Francesca, being the British hipster that she is, suggested we attend an upbeat, nondenominational church intended for a young audience. Apparently "Hillsong" is becoming the new thing in Australia, London, several other European cities, and of course NYC. After doing more research, I've learned that it is an international phenomenon. It is a mega-church, determined to become the largest church in the world. As they are exempt from taxes, the $55 million dollars they are making has raised several questions - and eyebrows. Being the traditional Lutheran girl that I am, I was hesitant to attend, but finally I decided it was a church service nonetheless and I should participate. Boy, was I in for a surprise!

We all split up and hurried to our rooms, realizing we had less than an hour to shower and get ready. I quickly showered, chose a sundress and sandals, and left my hair in a curly mess. Moments later, we were meeting up in the courtyard and agreeing upon our mixed feelings of anticipation and curiosity. The subway carried us along toward the exit, and my anxiety multiplied. I have never been comfortable in a religious setting that lacks structure, and I was struggling to maintain an open mind. The pep-talk I had with myself could never have prepared me for what was coming.


We arrived, and I was immediately forced to adapt: we were not at a church, but instead a theater. This venue was nothing like the Zion Lutheran Church I had grown up in, the Immanuel Lutheran Church my family attends now, or the Reformation Lutheran Church I go to in Wichita. Instead, this building resembled a place where I would see a concert. Open mind, open mind, open mind... I told myself.

Once inside, things really started to seem bizarre. [I do not use the term "bizarre" to degrade non-denominational churches, or to offend any of you that are reading this. Only to describe how unusual of an experiences this was for me, coming from a strict religious background.] It was not the traditional organ hymns that welcomed us to our pews, rather, it was alternative Christian rock that lured a screaming herd of people into a mosh pit. Rather than joining the enthusiastic crowd below, Persia, Francesca and I filed upstairs to somewhat calmer seating.

At this point, I wasn't quite sure how to feel. I had been to Acquire the Fire and other youth rallies, attended several non-denominational and "contemporary" services, but never had I encountered something quite like this. Not to mention, the entire experience was taking place in French. Keep an open mind, Sheradin.




Here is a glimpse at what was happening.



There are a few things I learned today from attending this church service. First and foremost, Australia knows how to party. Secondly, I am much more comfortable with my "boring" traditional Sunday mornings. And lastly, there are translators in this world that will blow your mind with their capabilities.

The main sermon was given by an Australian man who was more like a motivational speaker than a priest, and whom was more focused on instructing us to tithe than sharing the Word of God. Although he expressed several encouraging words in his speech, I was less than impressed with the overall message. What was more entertaining than the speech he delivered, was the woman who was translating it. It amazed me how he could tell entire paragraphs in English, and the instant he paused, we were hearing them in French. She spoke with such speed and accuracy, fluidly converting the words in her head while they poured out of her mouth. The way she followed him as he moved from left to right on stage really added to her presence. Her facial expressions, body movements, and tone of voice were a perfect replica of her predecessor's.

Although I will never return to a service at Hillsong, it was an incredible experience and truly entertaining. If you ever get the chance to go, I would highly recommend it, if for no other reason than to see a contrary form of worship than that of rural Kansas. (Although, I will forewarn you, it lasted a full two and a half hours.)

Now, I'm home, and spending the evening FaceTiming Matthew. Of course. He is in Colorado taking family pictures, and I would kill to be standing in wide open spaces! The weather here is getting cold and it is much less enjoyable to be hiking metro stairs than rugged trails in the mountains. The smell of cedar and pumpkin candles are familiar aromas of fall; and if I close my eyes I can almost imagine what Estes Park looks like right now. Although, I have to admit, autumn in Paris is proving to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth :)







Serious....




and silly :O)












And as the phone call concludes, so does my night. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment